As the anticipation of a new academic year buzzes in the air, many students and parents prepare for a fresh start. At Griffin & Errera Orthodontics, we understand the importance of confidence during these pivotal educational years. That’s why we’re excited to discuss how going back to school with Invisalign can be a game-changer for students.
What Is Invisalign?
As the school bell rings in a new academic year, students often look for ways to feel confident and at ease.
For those in need of orthodontic care, Invisalign emerges as a game-changer. Unlike the traditional metal braces often associated with teenage years, Invisalign offers a discreet and modern approach to teeth straightening. The company creates clear, custom-fitted aligners that gently shift teeth into ideal positions.
The Aesthetic Advantage
The teenage years are a transformative period, filled with self-discovery and a desire to fit in. Appearance often plays a significant role in a student’s self-esteem and confidence. With traditional braces, some students might feel self-conscious about their metal-filled smiles, especially in an era of selfies and social media.
This is where Invisalign shines with its aesthetic advantage. Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible, allowing students to straighten their teeth without their peers realizing it. Your child can laugh, talk, and even have their photos taken without the typical metallic glare of braces. This subtlety can be a confidence booster, allowing students to focus on their personal and academic growth without hiding their smiles.
Invisalign Is Practical For The School Day
Invisalign’s practical benefits extend beyond aesthetics. Its design considers the daily life of a student, ensuring that the orthodontic journey is not just about achieving a perfect smile but also about experiencing school life to its fullest without any complications.
Ease of Cleaning:
One of Invisalign’s standout advantages is its simplicity of oral hygiene. Unlike traditional braces, where food particles can get trapped easily, Invisalign aligners can be removed. This means students can brush and floss their teeth without obstruction, maintaining optimal oral health without the added hassle.
Flexibility in Daily Activities:
- Lunchtime Freedom: With Invisalign, there’s no need to skip out on favorite school lunches or snacks. They just pop out the aligners, enjoy the meal, rinse, and put them back in.
- School Photos & Presentations: Whether it’s a picture day or a class presentation, students can choose to remove their aligners for a short time, putting their best foot (or smile) forward.
- Extracurricular Activities: Invisalign ensures that nothing prevents students from pursuing their passions in drama club rehearsals, sports practices, or other extracurriculars. Their aligners can be temporarily removed, allowing students to fully engage in their activities without any discomfort or self-consciousness.
Comfort Throughout the Day:
Metal braces can sometimes irritate the cheeks and lips, especially after adjustments. Invisalign aligners are smooth and custom-fitted, reducing the chances of discomfort. Students can concentrate on their lessons and activities without the distraction of a sore mouth.
Invisalign Tips For Back To School
Clear aligners are not known for complicating the lives of their patients; however, we have some tips we’d like to share that will help your child be as comfortable as possible at school. We want them to focus on their education, not their orthodontic treatment!
Packing the Essentials
Here are some items we recommend your child has in their backpack to incorporate their aligners into their day hassle-free.
- A case to store their clear aligners when they’re not wearing them, like at snack or meal time. Cases keep their trays safe and clean.
- A travel-size toothbrush and toothpaste so they can clean their teeth after eating before putting their aligners back in.
- A reusable water bottle to keep your child hydrated. A hydrated child is less likely to develop dry mouth, a condition that can make wearing their aligners uncomfortable. Water consumption also keeps their breath and aligners smelling and tasting fresh.
- Orthodontic wax for when the aligner irritates the cheek or gums. Discomfort is more likely to occur when your child puts in a new aligner or if their aligner is damaged somehow. Whatever the reason, orthodontic wax can keep them comfortable.
Griffin & Errera Orthodontics suggests using a designated small bag or pocket in your child’s backpack so they can quickly locate what they need.
- A reminder on your child’s phone or device can prompt them to wear the aligners after scheduled meals or breaks so they don’t forget.
- Equip your child with knowledge about their aligners so they can respond to classmates’ questions. Sharing the benefits can make them less self-conscious and encourage other children to want treatment for their smiles!
- Inform their teachers or school about their aligners. You might be able to create a support system that can remind your child to wear their aligners, give them time after lunch or snacktime to clean their teeth, and maybe provide relief (such as an ice pack) when your child is uncomfortable.
Visit Griffin & Errera Orthodontics!
As the new academic year unfolds, your child can confidently embrace every opportunity with Invisalign.
Schedule a free consultation with Dr. Griffin and Dr. Errera at our Middleburg, Warrenton, or Culpepper locations to learn if your teen qualifies for Invisalign treatment!